
I was a little disappointed with the police procedural fixation of Whitley Strieber’s 1978 novel The Wolfen from the get-go, even when it was relatively clean and somewhat evocative of the urban landscape in the earlier chapters of the novel. The setting and time period, New York City in the 1970s, could play host to an awesome story of mass hysteria, urban decay, and perhaps hedonism, not to mention werewolves, the way Spike Lee manages in Summer of Sam, with a real life serial killer. I can't think of a novel, offhand, that achieves this sort of 70s paranoia and delirium, but I'm sure they're out there. It seemed that Strieber completely forgot about his city after the cops were killed in the auto pound in the first section of the book. We get a decent description of the desolation in the Bronx, and a few upper Manhattan scenes (the fountain and the museum) that are bland and generic. The love triangle bit was useless and made the two cops much less interesting. I would’ve liked to see a bit more about Dick, our main character’s husband. He seems like a misunderstood guy who has been chewed up by the system, though Strieber pulls the heartstrings a bit too heavily when he has Dick spend the extorted money on taking care of his sick father. Come on. I could imagine someone, someone who wears Druid garb at conventions, reading this novel as a defense of the Wolfen. They are nobler beasts than we. They only kill the sick, old and weak. They live in harmony with their ecosystem. That’s baloney and not supported by the text (though knowing a bit about Strieber’s wacko ideas, he may have been aiming in that direction).
Strieber also seemed a little proud of himself concerning the idea about vampires being normal humans who leach off of the Wolfen. He made the guy at the Natural History Museum a little too credulous. All it took to convince him of the existence of sapient wolf-beings was an old etching in a silly book.
There is a 1981 film starring Albert Finney very loosely based on this novel, and I’d definitely recommend the film over the book in this case.
Strieber also seemed a little proud of himself concerning the idea about vampires being normal humans who leach off of the Wolfen. He made the guy at the Natural History Museum a little too credulous. All it took to convince him of the existence of sapient wolf-beings was an old etching in a silly book.
There is a 1981 film starring Albert Finney very loosely based on this novel, and I’d definitely recommend the film over the book in this case.
You can learn a bit more about Strieber's latest obsessions here.
That "werewolves are better and purer than us" vibe also creeps into the movie---I agree that it pretty much wrecks things.
ReplyDeleteBTW, If you hike across Central Park, behind the zoo, you can stroll right past those ivy-clad old buildings where Finney and Gregory Hines did their lycanthropic research. (If you're on a bicycle or can run really fast, you can even duplicate those speed-action tracking shots, although you'll look really funny doing it. ; )
Good to know. I've seen a couple old copies of this and didn't know whether it'd be worth picking up or not. Really disappointed to hear he ignored the amazing setting of NYC in the '70s! That would've killed me had I read this. Never really been a Strieber fan; his whole Visitors/Communion thing was a big turnoff for me. Have only seen the movie in bits and pieces over the years...
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comments. This was certainly a big disappointment, but I'd certainly recommend the film
ReplyDelete